This is a private forum to host all things geek and gamer.

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

That first email I sent...

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Smith

PostSubject: That first email I sent...   Mon Apr 01, 2013 3:26 pm

Gather 'round, amigos!

We are gettin' ready to start a new adventure! As of now, we are switching over to Deadlands. (The classic version, to be precise.) Now, I know no one in the group has played before, and that's just fine. Everyone will catch on quick. Or meet the hangman.

What do you need to know? I'm glad you asked, partner!

1) We'll be using the forums again - at least for scheduling. You should check them when you can or stay in close contact with me so everybody knows what's what. There is already a note about scheduling in the new Deadlands section and a poll for open times to game in the month of April. I will also be posting a copy of this email there just as soon as the pony express rider takes it away. Er, I mean, when I hit send.

2) You will need dice. Same as always. This system uses pools of dice, so having a few of each type will make your life easier, but, as always, I'm sure people will share. d4s, d6s, d8s, d10s, d12s, and d20s are all in play. Just so you know. I will provide character sheets, but I suggest you all start bringing a notebook as you will probably need to expand upon that as well as take notes. And scratch paper is always nice.

3) You can find the books in my Dropbox RPG folder. I have most of the collection (at least for the version we are using) in PDF, but not hard copy. There is a ton in there, but the good news is that each of you will only be needing the stuff that pertains to your character and nothing more. Things don't translate well from one type of character to another so there ain't much sense in even flipping through it. That, and most of the books are for the Marshall's eyes only. (That's me. I'm the Marshall. Howdy.)

4) To prepare for this game you will need to do two things: read some stuff and get inspired. That's it. What you need to read isn't all that much. Stick to the Player's Guide. No more. I suggest reading the intro entitled "The Epitaph’s Newcomers Guide to the Weird West". It's a little boring (the old one is better [just 7 pages!] and at my house available to read), but you don't have to memorize it. I do suggest, however, that you read the character creation portion all the way through the archtype templates. That runs to page 104. (Relax, it's mostly pictures.) If you really want a leg up on the rest of your posse (That's you. The Posse. All of you.), you can read chapters 4 and 5 to get an idea of how the system works. If you get to the page that says "No Man's Land", you stop. That is all you get. For now. And nothing from the Marshall's Handbook or Marshall sections in any of the books. I'm sure it could go without saying, but I'm sayin' it.

5) There are no real character classes, just archtypes. These are suggestions and can be modified. Use them as guidelines, though. It works out better in the long run. Archtypes not listed in the Player's Guide are Martial Artist, Metal Mage, and Voodooist, and I can lead you to the proper documentation, if you're interested. Jack has already decided to play a Gunslinger (with the proper amount of flavor, of course) and Justin requested to play a Huckster. That does not mean that these concepts are off limits for other players, but I would expect each character to be distinct in his or her own way. One more thing... ALL CHARACTER CONCEPTS MUST BE APPROVED BY THE MARSHALL. Them's the rules.

6) About that inspiration part... This is The West. This is The Weird West. There is plenty of source material out there to get your mouths watering and I suggest you treat yourselves to an afternoon of it.

Books To Read
- The Dark Tower series by Stephen King
- any western by Elmore Leonard

Comic Books To Read
- Jonah Hex
- The Dark Tower

TV To Watch
- The Adventures of Brisco County Jr.
- The Young Riders season 1

Movies To Watch
- 3:10 to Yuma
- Tombstone
- Blind Justice (the one with Armand Assante, not Rutger Hauer)
- Unforgiven
- The Quick and The Dead
- True Grit
- The Proposition
- Young Guns 1 & 2

These are just suggestions. There is plenty of good stuff out there.

Please let me know if you have any questions. I am around Thursday evening if folks want to make characters this week. Otherwise, everyone can make characters together at our first session.

See you further along the trail,

JS
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Jack

PostSubject: Re: That first email I sent...   Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:57 pm

i'm up for makin' the meanest SOB gunslinger you ever did see on thursday. cya then. Mad
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Pwarky

PostSubject: Re: That first email I sent...   Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:09 pm

I have always been fond of exploring the unknown. A socially awkward Explorer sounds like just the trick.

Young Ned gets along better with Animals and trees than do people and he always wants to know what is just over that next ridge. Taught by his father and their Redskin friend, Ned also knows how to get out of the trouble he often finds himself in.

I am picturing something like Tasslehoff Burrfoot, but human, and less...theify.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Smith

PostSubject: Re: That first email I sent...   Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:33 pm

There ain't too much more to explore in the States, so perhaps a scout or miner. We'll discuss it more offline as we get you aligned with the rest of the group.

Right now, the posse consists of the following: a blind gunslinger, an undead preacher, and a saloon gal. There will be the occasional young, female shaman and maybe a kid.
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: That first email I sent...   

Back to top Go down

That first email I sent...
Page 1 of 1