XPFeed
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

This is a private forum to host all things geek and gamer.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Jack

Jack

using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers Empty
PostSubject: using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers   using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers EmptyWed Jul 20, 2011 4:57 pm

so, i was bored on the way to work today, and i started thinking on how to use my powers in other ways. potential uses are dictated by the way our powers work. this brought up a bunch of questions regarding my powers (which i asked jason via IM). i think we can all benefit from some critical thinking regarding our powers (as jason suggested), so i'm starting this thread for us to discuss new ways to use our powers. i'm going to post an abbreviated version of the conversation for an example.

me: question, what happens when something is passing thru the portal, but tries to grab the edge? it would be like trying to grab air, but it would also be outside of the effect.
jason: can't grab air. if you make your portal on a surface, they have a shot

me: next question: what happens when the portal is in the air, and a tapered object (imagine a cone) is passing thru it but is too big to make it through?
jason: it wouldn't completely pass through, now would it?
me: no, i didnt think it would. do the edges of the warp cut the cone? does the cone get stuck?
jason: stuck

me: next question: does the warp always have to be square? can i shape it, as long as the total area is within the limit?
jason: you defined it when you chose it
me: i defined it as a square. i'm just curious whether the shape is rigidly defined, or whether i am limiting myself
jason: square

(also, if ur bored, check out http://www.folj.com/lateral/fact.htm)
Back to top Go down
khaosus

khaosus

PostSubject: Re: using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers   using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers EmptyThu Jul 21, 2011 9:37 pm

Ill hop on this gravytrain:

Can I put in place a memory pit? Preventing a person from ever learning about a topic or event?
For example, prevent a person in a key position from ever creating memories or ideas entertaining the prospect of Rift also being the Senator.

Would I be able to do this for all long term memories, making a "momento effect"?

Can two telepaths work together to create a more powerful effect?

Back to top Go down
Smith

Smith

PostSubject: Re: using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers   using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers EmptyFri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm

Casey:

Quote :
Can I put in place a memory pit? Preventing a person from ever learning about a topic or event?
For example, prevent a person in a key position from ever creating memories or ideas entertaining the prospect of Rift also being the Senator.

Nope.

Quote :
Would I be able to do this for all long term memories, making a "momento effect"?

Can you disable the ability to make long-term memories? If you got enough successes, you could telepathically shut off that portion of the brain.

Quote :
Can two telepaths work together to create a more powerful effect?

Any two or more characters with the same, or similar, power can work in tandem for a greater desired effect with greater difficulty. Somewhere there is an extra that alleviates some of the difficulty of this type of action.
Back to top Go down
Arc

Arc

PostSubject: Re: using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers   using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 12:51 am

I got some Q's that need A's

Teleport- When Arc Bamph's there is a flash. Who's to say that that flash can't cause a temporary area of effect blindness or stun? I figure that can be something to upgrade to, & it will of course have to have its draw backs like an extra quantum or 2 spent and not being able to Teleport for the rest of the round or something like that. It would obviously not happen every time he Bamph's only when he wills it to happen.

Witch brings me to item 2

Teleport + Attunement- I do recall when we where first discussing the character of Arc that whenever he Teleported anything and everything that was not attuned to him would be damaged. Like clothes, other characters, things of that sort. Witch is why he has a 5 in Attunement, but we never set a damage for things that are not Attuned. Thoughts?

Here is an example where thing get a little fuzzy, when Valkyrie "Matt" hitched a ride w/ Arc when he tried to ditch her to go fight Dynan. There are a couple of explanations that could answer what happened.

1 - Is that when Valkyrie grabbed Arc at the last possible moment to go back w/ him to Dynan, Arc realized this and Attuned her so she wouldn't come through blistered and charred.

2 - or Valkyrie was still Attuned to Arc after the first Teleport therefore she was able to ride along w/ no danger of being hurt. I like this answer myself.

But it leaves me w/ more Q's

1 - If Attunement lasts beyond the last touch, then how long does it last?

2 - If someone grabs Arc who is not Attuned do they come with? If so what are their consequences?

3 - On the other hand what if something big & ugly has a hold of Arc & he Bamph's away, does big & ugly come w/ for the ride? Or is he left holding air since Arc knows he's being held by big & ugly? Or... Is it Arc's choice to bring him along or not?

Food for thought Mr. Smith.

P.S. Lightning Bolt, Shock Fist, Lightning Shield, and more to come Smile
Back to top Go down
Smith

Smith

PostSubject: Re: using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers   using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers EmptyWed Jul 27, 2011 11:09 am

Quote :
Teleport- When Arc Bamph's there is a flash. Who's to say that that flash can't cause a temporary area of effect blindness or stun? I figure that can be something to upgrade to, & it will of course have to have its draw backs like an extra quantum or 2 spent and not being able to Teleport for the rest of the round or something like that. It would obviously not happen every time he Bamph's only when he wills it to happen.

Considering the wealth of powers already at your disposal, it seems like a waste of points to me. I wouldn't consider stun an option without adding the Stun Attack power, and adding a blindness effect would mechanically be the equivalent of adding an extra that would permanently change your power; unless you get that as a power too. They can be acquired cheaper if they are contingent on your teleport to work. There certainly isn't a free AOE anywhere in the mix.

Quote :
Teleport + Attunement- I do recall when we where first discussing the character of Arc that whenever he Teleported anything and everything that was not attuned to him would be damaged. Like clothes, other characters, things of that sort. Which is why he has a 5 in Attunement, but we never set a damage for things that are not Attuned. Thoughts?

That's because that is something that would be determined by the GM, i.e. me. Attunement is automatic and by touch. The background dictates how much mass can be attuned without incident. It is a separate action each time and it happens on a first come, first served basis. You would automatically attune a friendly target or passenger, and ignore hostiles. That is, unless, you wanted to attempt otherwise. And, yes, someone can piggyback along with Arc, if they have the power scheme or rolls to make that happen, but as a rule, it's just you.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers   using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers Empty

Back to top Go down

using lateral thinking in the way we use our powers
Page 1 of 1